Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

June 15, 2009

Lizzy's Christening

I have finally named my car. It is only appropriate that this happen, because I am about to take it on a roadtrip through Michigan, west across the UP, to eastern Wisconsin, hitting important lakes on the way--Walloon Lake for a wedding, Green Lake for a family reunion of sorts. Later this summer, we'll go on an even longer roadtrip, from Illinois to California. Anyway, I have named my car. Her name is Lizzy. This is taken partly from my middle name, Elizabeth, because I love that name and the nickname Liz. But I would never go by Lizzy; yet it seems suitable for a car. Lizzy makes me think of the Tin Lizzy, a quirky, whimsical ice cream place near Taylor. The Tin Lizzy has one up on the glider rocking chairs--it has entire picnic tables on gliders. Also, the Tin Lizzy is on the way to our country church at Taylor--Southern Wells Community Church. We used to go to church in an old beater conversion van called Blue Steel. Sometimes the doors would stick shut; others times they wouldn't shut and we'd hold them while we rode. Blue Steel took us in the ditch three times on one adventure to church (we excuse this because it was very icy out). Blue Steel is also the source of an embarrassing moment with Megan, which just doesn't need to be hashed out here. It's better in person.

All this to say...Elizabeth made me think of Liz which made me think of Lizzy which made me think of the Tin Lizzy which made me think of Blue Steel which was itself a proudly-named vehicle. So Lizzy is thus perfect for my car: the eclectic combination of broken-down vans, gliding picnic tables, country adventures, miniature statues of liberty, Taylor memories, ice cream, and an extension of myself.

After naming Lizzy, I laid hands on her and prayed for her, that she would not break down on any trips, as she sometimes does not like to start. This is not the first time I have prayed for Lizzy, but it is the first time with her name-a kind of christening, if you will. Maybe she will take better to running for me now that she is named.

0 comments:

Post a Comment