Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

June 30, 2009

First Road Trip: Wandering through the Lakes, Part 1

About a week and a half ago I set off on my first roadtrip of the summer. I made a loop around Lake Michigan, for the main purposes of going to Becky and Aaron Hoesli's wedding and a reunion with some Taylor friends in Wisconsin. But there were other sweet stops along the way. I started by heading to Grand Rapids, where I stayed with Leslie Smit, a 1WO alum. That night was filled with laughing as we got to catch up on each other's lives and adventures. Then I drove farther north to Walloon Lake, MI, where the wedding was. The wedding was absolutely beautiful, and I had so much fun celebrating the beginning of Becky and Aaron's marriage with them. Highlights included seeing Taylor friends Amanda, Sarah, Elisabeth, Alyse, and Alex; talking to Alyse's parents; and dancing a LOT. :) That night I stayed with Sarah Meisner and Elisabeth Duncan and an assortment of Becky's relatives at a cabin-place, and we went hot tubbing under the stars. On Sunday, I had my long drive over Mackinac Bridge and along Lake Michigan in the UP, then down into Wisconsin to Green Lake. I made a lot of random stops on the side of the road, stuck my feet in Lake Michigan (I have to do that at least once a summer), and spent my drive time praying over a lot that was on my heart.

This first leg of the journey, through Michigan, was tied closely to Isaiah 62:1-7:
"For Zion's sake I will not keep silent; for Jerusalem's sake I will not remain quiet, till her righteousness shines out like the dawn, her salvation like a blazing torch. The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. No longer will they call you Deserted, and name your land Desolate; but you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah, for the Lord will take Delight in you, and your land will be Married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your Builder marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God marry you. I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest, until he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth."

When reading this passage, I was struck by the first and last parts. God says he will not keep quiet, for Jerusalem's sake, until her righteousness (vindication) and salvation (rescue) are made bright and shiny like the sun. Then at the end, he calls his people, his praying watchmen, to never be quiet. They are to call on him day and night, never resting--and they are so impertinent that they will not let him rest, until he does what he said he would do! God and his people are partnering together, interceding for Jerusalem (or the Church), discontent to give up or be quiet until she is made beautiful. The middle of the passage describes this beauty. Jerusalem, Zion, is adorned as a bride, all bright and shiny with royal diadems and splendorous crowns, glorious and blazing with light. She is married, chosen and treasured; delighted in, not deserted or desolate or destitute.

As I traveled, I made prayer my aim: to be unceasing in calling on God to do what he promised. As I watched Becky walk down the aisle, bright and shiny with sparkling diadems, to be married by the one who treasures her and delights in her, I was brimming over with excitement and joy both for her and Aaron, and for the Church.

I want desperately to be chosen and delighted in, and for the Church to be made beautiful and complete. I want to have the zeal and passion to never be silent, day or night, in interceding with the Spirit for God's people.

1 comments:

Hannah B said...

Whoa, Sarah! I loooove the verse you used, and it's being added to my list to potentially go on the wall of 1WO next year. Thanks!

Post a Comment