This year I wanted to do a Christmas letter, but of course I didn't do it before Christmas, so it's more of a New Year's letter. I opted for online rather than paper because it's simpler and quicker for me. Hopefully this gives you a great picture (ha!) of what my year has been like.
2010 was a very eventful year for me. I'm actually hoping 2011 is more of the same, but a pleasant sort of eventful. This year was very difficult for me and many things were unexpected. I learned a lot, I changed a lot, and I'm ready for even more changes. Here is a bit of what 2010 held for me (in a vaguely chronological order).
Sunny California
(Fresnans, can you guess where this mosaic is??)
Church and Work
During the summer and fall, I hunted for a job in Fresno. I worked for a few months at a call center as a public opinion researcher (meaning, I called people, listened to the phone ring, and occasionally got them to do surveys). I couldn't find a permanent job in Fresno, so I moved home and am searching elsewhere.
Link Care
Funerals. boo :(
This year three significant people died: the senior pastor at my church, Jamie Evans, on Feb. 25; my Grandpa on May 8; and my Grandma Mary on Dec. 4. Their deaths were sad and hard.
This year three significant people died: the senior pastor at my church, Jamie Evans, on Feb. 25; my Grandpa on May 8; and my Grandma Mary on Dec. 4. Their deaths were sad and hard.
Cars
In July, I was in a car accident. No one was hurt (and it was not my fault), but my car was totaled. Goodbye, Lizzy (Ford Taurus)...Hello, Lorelai (Chevy Malibu).
In July, I was in a car accident. No one was hurt (and it was not my fault), but my car was totaled. Goodbye, Lizzy (Ford Taurus)...Hello, Lorelai (Chevy Malibu).
Families
This year I was privileged to live with some wonderful families who took me in: the Grunbergs, the Norvells, and the Skibbies. Lots of other people were also wonderful at helping me out! I can't even name them all, there are so many.
The Skibbies and I at their houseTravels and Visits
I took lots of exciting trips this year and saw all sorts of things in California and across the US. In California: San Francisco, San Jose, the Sierra Nevada mountains, the Central Coast, Yosemite National Park (x3!), Los Angeles, Disneyland, and the Coachella Valley. I also embarked on a cross-country road trip as I moved homes from Fresno, CA to Danforth, IL, to live with my parents and search for a job. I got to see Sedona, AZ and its Red Rocks; almost saw the Grand Canyon (deterred by a snowstorm); Santa Fe, NM; lots of rather uninteresting land in west Texas; Dallas, TX and some of its historical sites; Broken Bow, OK; and a long drive from OK back to IL (during which I donned another layer of clothes at every gas station pit stop).
My friend Jess came to visit me in Fresno over the summer, and my parents came to Fresno in September! Those were all really fun times. On my road trip I was able to spend time with lots of friends and family along the way--friends Jenny, Susan, Jess, Jess's mom; many aunts and uncles and cousins; and many of their pets. I also saw all my extended family over the course of the year at my grandparents' funerals--bad circumstances but good to catch up.
I took lots of exciting trips this year and saw all sorts of things in California and across the US. In California: San Francisco, San Jose, the Sierra Nevada mountains, the Central Coast, Yosemite National Park (x3!), Los Angeles, Disneyland, and the Coachella Valley. I also embarked on a cross-country road trip as I moved homes from Fresno, CA to Danforth, IL, to live with my parents and search for a job. I got to see Sedona, AZ and its Red Rocks; almost saw the Grand Canyon (deterred by a snowstorm); Santa Fe, NM; lots of rather uninteresting land in west Texas; Dallas, TX and some of its historical sites; Broken Bow, OK; and a long drive from OK back to IL (during which I donned another layer of clothes at every gas station pit stop).
My friend Jess came to visit me in Fresno over the summer, and my parents came to Fresno in September! Those were all really fun times. On my road trip I was able to spend time with lots of friends and family along the way--friends Jenny, Susan, Jess, Jess's mom; many aunts and uncles and cousins; and many of their pets. I also saw all my extended family over the course of the year at my grandparents' funerals--bad circumstances but good to catch up.
Current
I have been home for the holidays since Dec. 4, and have enjoyed my "Christmas vacation," though it has been busy. Starting in January, I will be searching for a job in the Midwest. I'll continue living at home, which means I get to spend some time with my parents, and my sister Becca until she goes back to college.
I have been home for the holidays since Dec. 4, and have enjoyed my "Christmas vacation," though it has been busy. Starting in January, I will be searching for a job in the Midwest. I'll continue living at home, which means I get to spend some time with my parents, and my sister Becca until she goes back to college.
Much love,
Sarah





1 comments:
Sarah!!! Thanks for updating me on your life! I love all the pics, especially you with the Sunday School kids. :) Love you lots! --Michelle
Post a Comment